Understanding The Dangers and Liability of Blind Spot Trucking Accidents in New Mexico
Commercial truck drivers tend to have more difficulty seeing you than you can see them. This is because commercial trucks tend to have blind spots in behind, in front of, and on the sides of the semi-tractor trailer. These blind spots can lead to catastrophic accidents if the commercial truck driver cannot see you but makes a turn, lane change, merge, or other maneuver when you do not have an area to move away from danger. Blind spot trucking accident in New Mexico can result in catastrophic injury or wrongful death.
If you or a loved one were seriously injured or if a loved one was wrongfully killed in a trucking wreck in New Mexico, ask our trucking accident lawyer in New Mexico how we can help. At the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., our experienced 18 wheeler wreck lawyers can help you recover compensation that you deserve for your pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills. Learn how we can help you during a FREE consultation with our experienced team.
Blind Spots for a Semi-Tractor Trailer
The blind spots trucking accidents that occur are usually serious and catastrophic. Knowing where a truck’s blind spot is can help you guard against an accident. Some of the blind spots include for semi-tractor trailers are as follows:
- 30 feet behind the semi-tractor trailer – This means that a vehicle who is following closer than 30 feet will not be able to be seen by the truck driver
- 20 feet in front of the semi-tractor trailer – If a vehicle is within 20 feet in front of the semi-tractor trailer, the truck driver will not be able to see them
- The right side of the semi-trailer across the two lanes to the right of the truck – The truck driver is unable to to see vehicles driving on the right side of the truck or in the two lanes on the right side while driving next to the truck
- The left side (driver’s side) door to near the back of the truck in the left lane – Vehicles who are in the left lane at the point of the driver’s side door all the way towards the back of the truck often are not visible to the truck driver
Types of Trucking Accidents That Happen Due to Blind Spots
Blind spots create dangerous conditions, often leading to serious and often catastrophic or deadly accidents. If a truck driver is careless while operating the vehicle in conjunction with not being able to see in his or her blind spot, many different accidents can occur, including the following:
- Head-on accidents – If a truck is merging left and cannot see a vehicle next to them, they may knock the vehicle into another lane of oncoming traffic, leading to a collision
- Merging semi-tractor trailer accidents – Commercial truck drivers who do not check their blind spots and monitor traffic before merging can cause sideswipe accidents
- Override truck accidents – If there is another vehicle on the road that is much smaller, a large commercial truck may run over the smaller vehicle
- Underride truck accidents – There are certain instances in which a smaller vehicle may slide under the truck
- Trucking accidents leading to a vehicle being run off the road – When a truck inappropriately merges into a lane where another vehicle is driving, if may force the car off of the road
Preventable Causes of Blind Spot Commercial Trucking Accidents
While blind spots can certainly make it difficult for truck drivers to see other vehicles on the road, it is their duty to always check their blind spots to ensure that they do not cause a collision. There are many preventable causes of blind spot commercial trucking accidents, including the following:
- Failure to ensure mirrors are appropriately aligned
- Failure to check blind spots before merging
- Fatigued driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted driving
- Failure in part of the trucking company to ensure that the truck driver is appropriately qualified and trained to operate a commercial truck
- Lack of appropriate mirrors on the truck
- Failure to watch for traffic while merging and driving the commercial truck
Injured in a Blind Spot Trucking Accident? Call our Albuquerque Trucking Accident Lawyer for Help
Here at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., our experienced trucking accident lawyer can help victims and their families recover compensation for a blind spot trucking accident. We have a proven track record of success and know how to maximize compensation while fighting back against some of the largest trucking companies, defense lawyers, and insurance carriers in New Mexico and perhaps the United States. Learn more by calling (505) 384-7865 to schedule your FREE consultation.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 384-7865 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.