Understand Your Rights and the Types of Spinal Cord Injuries After an 18-Wheeler Wreck in New Mexico
There are many different injuries that can occur as a result of a commercial trucking accident. One of the most devastating types of injuries that can occur are spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries often leave victims with permanent disabilities and in some cases, victims may require breathing assistance and continuous nursing care. Our successful trucking accident lawyers in Albuquerque understand how devastating a spinal cord injury can be, as well as the often lifetime financial losses associated with the injury. Our compassionate and skilled law firm believes that victims who suffer any of the common types of spinal cord injuries after an 18-wheeler wreck should recover the compensation they need for any financial, physical, and emotional losses associated with the injury.
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a truck wreck, call the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. to learn more about how we can help you and your family recover compensation for your injuries. Spinal cord injuries are some of the worst types of injuries as they can result in permanent and prolonged delay. Individuals who suffer from significant disability such as spinal cord injuries can learn more about their rights during a FREE consultation with our experienced trucking accident lawyers in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
The term spinal cord injury refers to any injury to the spinal cord that results in an alteration in sensation or movement. However, there are different types of spinal cord injuries that can occur as a result of a commercial trucking accident. The type of spinal cord injury depends on the level of injury.
Some of the most common types of spinal cord injuries include the following:
- Cervical - Cervical spinal cord injuries occur between C1 and C7.
- Thoracic - Thoracic spinal cord injuries can occur anywhere between T1 and T12.
- Lumbar - Lumbar spinal cord injuries occur on the lowers part of the spinal cord from L1 to L5.
- Sacral - Sacral spinal cord injuries occur anywhere on the spinal cord between S1 and S5.
Consequences of a Spinal Cord Injury
These types of spinal cord injuries can result in quadriplegia or paraplegia. Quadriplegia refers to complete or partial loss of sensation and movement from the neck down. In some cases, victims with quadriplegia may be unable to breathe without the assistance of a ventilator or other form of respiratory assistance.
Victims with paraplegia may have partial or total loss of sensation and movement from the waist down. Some victims with paraplegia may have some degree of sensation and movement, but others may have loss of bowel and bladder function and/or impairment of sexual function.
Damages for Victims Who Suffer a Spinal Cord Injury Due to a Commercial Trucking Accident
There are many different damages that victims who suffer a spinal cord injury can receive. Damages are typically awarded in the form of compensation. The most common damages that spinal cord injury victims receive include the following:
- Medical bills - Spinal cord injury victims are likely to have a lifetime of medical bills as a result of their injury.
- Lost wages and lost future earnings - Victims may be unable to work for a period of time or may permanently be out of work as a result of their injury.
- Loss of consortium (i.e. loss of relations with spouse)
- Vehicle and home modifications - Victims who suffer a spinal cord injury often require home or vehicle modifications such as a wheelchair ramp, hand controls for their vehicle, etc. to help them function as independently as possible.
- Nursing care - In cases of quadriplegia, many victims will require continuous nursing care due to the severity of their injury.
- Other damages related to a victim’s spinal cord injury.
Ask Our Experienced Trucking Accident Lawyers in Albuquerque, NM For Help After You or a Loved One Suffered Spinal Cord Injuries
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured and suffered any type of spinal cord injuries after an 18-wheeler wreck in Albuquerque, New Mexico, call our experienced truck accident lawyers at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. to schedule a FREE consultation. There is no upfront cost or financial risk to learn about your rights and how we can help you and your family. Call to schedule your free consultation by dialing (505) 883-5000.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. We also have a second trucking accident office in California, serving those in Inland Empire and San Bernardino County, as well as those who have been catastrophically injured or wrongfully killed throughout California. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 883-5000 or contact us through our website's easy to use and convenient contact form below.