Understanding Your Rights After a Hit by Car Bicycle Accident in New Mexico
People use bicycles as a form of transportation, exercise, or recreation. While it is a great form of exercise, there is a risk of injury for these cyclists. While there is always a risk of injuring yourself while riding a bike, some people sustain injuries due to impact with a motor vehicle. These types of accidents can be quite catastrophic, causing serious injuries or even death. Oftentimes, victims of biking accidents played no part in the cause of the accident, meaning that the injuries were completely avoidable if the driver of the motor vehicle had used proper caution. This is why if you or your loved one were involved in a hit by car bicycle accident in New Mexico, we encourage you to contact an experienced bike accident lawyer who can work with you to gain the maximum amount of compensation possible that you are entitled to for any injuries sustained.
Here at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., our experienced bike accident lawyers have a proven track record of handling some of the most catastrophic personal injury cases throughout New Mexico. This is important for victims of bicycle accidents who are hit by a car or truck, because oftentimes victims suffer absolutely catastrophic injuries due to the lack of seatbelts, side airbags, and other safety vehicles that other motorists have in vehicles. Bicycle accident victims need to have an experienced lawyer like us to represent them in these types of devastating cases. Learn more by calling our office to schedule a FREE consultation.
Types of injuries Caused by Biking Accidents Involving a Motor Vehicle
While it is important to note that not all injuries are serious, oftentimes cyclists are seriously injured when involved in a hit by car bicycle accident in New Mexico. Injuries commonly seen as a result of a biking accident involving a motor vehicle or large truck include the following:
- Broken bones or fractures – Broken bones due to biking accidents are very common. Treatment and recovery after a broken bone due to a biking accident are painful and can be lengthy. Surgery is sometimes required as well as hospitalization.
- Head or brain injuries – Even if a bicyclist has a helmet on, there is still a risk of a serious head injury if the impact was great. Head and brain injuries seen include concussion, traumatic brain injury, hemorrhage, skull fracture, as well as other serious injuries.
- Back and neck injuries – Bicyclists are at risk for back and neck injuries if they collide with a motor vehicle or fall off of their bike as a result of impact with a motor vehicle. Whiplash is possible as well as damage to the muscles and tissue of the back and neck.
- Internal injuries – There is a great risk for internal organ injuries when a bicyclist collides with a motor vehicle, is run over by a motor vehicle or falls of their bike as a result of impact. Internal organ injuries are very serious and require immediate treatment.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries can occur as a result of a biking accident and can leave victims unable to walk, and in some instances, unable to care for themselves. Paraplegia (paralysis of the legs) and quadriplegia (paralysis of the arms and legs) are two common types of spinal cord injuries commonly occurring due to a bicycle accident. Always call an experienced lawyer for any type of spinal cord injury like ours in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Damages For Individuals Involved in a Bicycle Accident Involving a Motor Vehicle
Victims of bicycle accidents due to a motor vehicle driver’s negligence or recklessness may be entitled to compensation for the injuries sustained. Compensation for damages is typically monetary. Examples of damages for bicycle accident victims and their families include the following:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Lost future wages
- Loss of consortium
- Vehicle and home modifications
- Rehabilitation coverage
- Nursing care coverage
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Punitive damages, an
- Other damages related to a hit by car bicycle accident in New Mexico.
Victims Who are Injured in a Bicycle Accident Should Call Our Law Firm Today
The Caruso Law Offices, P.C. has over 30 years of experienced handling some of the most catastrophic and devastating personal injury cases throughout New Mexico. We have expanded our offices to California, where we represent victims injured in horrific trucking accidents. Victims who have been injured in a bicycle accident after being hit by a car or truck should contact our experienced bike accident lawyers in New Mexico by dialing (505) 384-7865.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. We also have a second trucking accident office in California, serving those in Inland Empire County and San Bernardino County, as well as those who have been catastrophically injured or wrongfully killed through California. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 384-7865 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.