Understanding Your Rights After Being Injured in a Hit and Run Auto Accident in Albuquerque
Being involved in any type of car accident is not only frightening, but can be devastating. While some victims of car accidents are fortunate to sustain little or no injuries, many other victims are not as fortunate. While there are many different types of car accidents that can leave victims seriously injured, one type of car accident that can be particularly catastrophic and unforgivable is hit and run car accidents. Hit and run car accidents can leave victims seriously injured, or worse – deceased. They happen all the time in New Mexico, and are a huge problem throughout the United States. Leaving the scene of an accident is a felony if the victim sustains any degree of injury. Our auto accident lawyers understand just how devastating being involved in a hit and run auto accident in Albuquerque can be, and are prepared to help you by protecting your rights while recovering the maximum amount of compensation that you are entitled to.
Here at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., our experienced team of auto accident lawyers can help you and your family recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, conscious pain and suffering, loss of consortium, property damage, and other types of damages from a hit and run auto accident in Albuquerque, New Mexico. To learn more about our bodily injury law firm and how we can help you, contact us to schedule a FREE consultation with our personal injury lawyers.
What is a Hit and Run Car Accident?
A hit and run car accident refers to any car accident in which a driver who caused or contributed to the accident leaves the scene. Accidents involving pedestrians are also considered to be hit and run car accidents. Sometimes this is accidentally, especially with large trucks were a truck driver’s error may cause a collision and he or she may not realize she hit another vehicle (I.e., backed into another vehicle). But other times a hit and run auto accident is malicious, and the other driver is actively fleeing.
Can I Obtain Compensation if I was Injured in a Hit and Run?
If the driver is able to be found, victims are often able to recover compensation from the driver. If the other driver has insurance which is adequate, victims may be able to file a claim with the driver’s insurance company. However, victims often wonder whether or not they can recover compensation if they were injured in a hit and run if the driver is unable to be located. The answer to this is yes. Victims who are involved in a hit and run accident in which the driver was unable to be located, or the driver is found but does not have insurance has the option of filing a claim with the insurance company.
Steps to Take if You Have Been Involved in a Hit and Run Accident
Being involved in a hit and run accident can be quite frightening. Often the first thought is to just focus on recovering from the accident, which while that is important, there are other vital steps that victims should take if they wish to try to recover the compensation that they deserve for their injuries. Steps to take if you have been involved in a hit and run accident include the following:
- Take Notice of the Other Car as it Leaves the Scene – This includes the make and model of the car, license plate number, and physical appearance of the driver as this may aid in locating the driver.
- Talk to Witnesses – If you notice that other people observed the accident, take their name and number so they can aid as a potential witness should there need to be a witness of an insurance claim or lawsuit.
- Call the Police – It is important to call the police at the scene of the accident as soon as possible. Police are able to take statements of witnesses, photos of the scene, and obtain any key evidence that may be helpful for your case.
- Seek Medical Attention – It is important to see medical attention to not only ensure that you are ok, but also to have a record of any injuries that occurred as a result of the accident.
- File an Insurance Claim and Hire a Lawyer – These two actions are critical steps to recovering the compensation that you deserve. Insurance companies often have deadlines as to when victims must submit a claim or the may risk losing the ability to recover compensation. It is always wise to speak with a lawyer if you or your loved one was involved in a hit and run. Our experienced hit and run accident lawyers can help to determine if you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries, and can assist in filing a claim with the insurance company.
Were You Involved in a Hit and Run Auto Accident in Albuquerque? Call Our Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer in Albuquerque, NM for Help
If you or a loved one were seriously injured in a hit and run accident involving another passenger car, truck, municipal vehicle, or any other type of driver, call our experienced auto accident lawyers at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. to schedule a FREE consultation with our personal injury law firm to learn more about what rights to compensation you may have under New Mexico law.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico and California, specifically in Inland Empire and San Bernardino Counties in California for trucking accidents — including hit and run trucking accidents. To learn more about your case and how we can help you, call (505) 384-7865 to schedule a FREE consultation with our lawyers.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. We also have a second trucking accident office in California, serving those in Inland Empire County and San Bernardino County, as well as those who have been catastrophically injured or wrongfully killed through California. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 384-7865 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.