Protecting Yourself and Your Family: Common Causes of Pedestrian Hit by Car Cases in New Mexico
Most people do not worry about being hit by a car while walking, when in reality it happens far too often. Not only do they occur frequently, but they often result in serious or even fatal injuries. According to statistics, roughly 6,000 people are killed each year after being hit by motor vehicle in the United States. The fact of the matter is that most pedestrian hit by car accidents being due to driver negligence, meaning that the accident could have been entirely prevented. Pedestrians who are hit by a car and survive their injuries are likely to face months, years, or a lifetime of pain or disability. This is why if you or your loved one was hurt or killed in a pedestrian hit by car accident in New Mexico, you should contact our experienced pedestrian accident lawyers today to determine what compensation you may be eligible for as a result of your injuries. We know the common causes of pedestrian hit by car accidents and we can help you and your family.
At the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., we also offer free consultations and we only get paid after you get paid in a settlement, verdict, or another type of recovery. Learn more about how we can help you during a FREE consultation with our personal injury law firm after any type of personal injury case involving a motor vehicle, especially when a pedestrian is hit by a car in New Mexico.
Why are Pedestrians at Great Risk for Injury if Injured in a Pedestrian Hit by Car Accident?
Pedestrians have little to no protection when they are struck by a motor vehicle. This means they have nothing to lessen the impact, leading to head injuries, internal organ injuries, and other serious or fatal injuries. Pedestrians also typically do not see the accident coming before it happens, meaning that victims often do not have the opportunity to brace themselves from the impact or from being launched into the ground.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Hit by Car Accidents in New Mexico
- Distracted driving – This is one of the most common causes for pedestrians being hit by cars. Even before the development of cell phones and other pieces of technology that can take the driver’s attention off of the road, drivers were reading newspapers, fiddling with the radio, or eating a meal. Unfortunately with technology evolving, the number of distractions is increasing, contributing to the number of distracted driving accidents involving pedestrians.
- Speeding – Speeding is a common factor that contributes to many types of car accidents, including accidents involving pedestrians.
- Failure to yield for pedestrians – Pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks, yet many drivers disregard this law. When a driver disregards this law and a pedestrian is walking in a crosswalk, pedestrians are at great risk for serious injury or even death.
- Impaired driving – driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly increases the risk for all types of accidents, including accidents involving pedestrians. Driving while impaired can impair the driver’s coordination, judgement, behavior, alertness, muscle response, and ability to detect moving objects.
- Turning right on red – While some traffic lights allow for a right turn on red, the driver is still obligated to look for any pedestrians or oncoming cars. Failure to do so can result in a serious accident involving a pedestrian, especially with large commercial trucks.
- Failure to use appropriate caution in poor weather conditions – Failure to exercise caution in the event of inclement weather can lead to an accident involving a pedestrian if the pedestrian is unable to stop, does not see a pedestrian, or is driving too quickly for the conditions of the road.
- Failure to obey traffic signs – Failure to obey traffic signs puts pedestrians and other motor vehicle drivers at great risk for an accident. Failure to stop at a stop sign or yield, as well as making a right on red when there is a sign forbidding it puts pedestrians at great risk for injury or even death.
If You or a Loved One Were Hit by a Car, Call Our Personal Injury Lawyers in New Mexico for Help
Victims who are injured in a motor vehicle accident as a pedestrian should call our experienced personal injury lawyers at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We know the common causes of a pedestrian hit by car accident and can help you recover the compensation that you deserve. To learn more about our services, call (505) 384-7865 to schedule a FREE consultation with our lawyers.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. We also have a second trucking accident office in California, serving those in Inland Empire County and San Bernardino County, as well as those who have been catastrophically injured or wrongfully killed through California. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 384-7865 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.