Injured in a Trucking Accident? Did an 18 Wheeler Accident Due to Unsecured Cargo Hurt You? We Can Help
Most people are aware that commercial trucks have the capacity to severely harm other motorists and pedestrians on the road. The fact of the matter is that while commercial trucks serve a purpose, they can be quite dangerous if not operated or maintained properly. However, what some people do not realize is that even the way in which the cargo is loaded can have a substantial effect on the safety of a commercial truck. Improperly loaded cargo can lead to serious, and even fatal accidents that can be 100% preventable. People who do survive commercial trucking accidents due to improperly loaded cargo often have lifelong or long-term injuries, which are quite costly to treat. Thus, an 18 wheeler accident due to unsecured cargo in New Mexico could result in serious compensation in a lawsuit.
This is why if you or your loved one was harmed in a commercial trucking accident, it is a good idea to contact an experienced commercial trucking accident attorney like ours at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. You may not know at the time of the accident what the cause of the accident was, but our experienced truck accident lawyers along with our expert witnesses will be able to investigate the accident in order to identify the cause and gain you the maximum amount of compensation possible. Learn more during a FREE consultation by calling our law firm.
Injuries Caused in an 18 Wheeler Accident Due to Unsecured Cargo
Injuries due to improperly loaded cargo include the following:
- Brain injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones or fractures
- Internal injuries
- Loss of limb
- Wrongful death
- Back or neck injuries, and
- Many other serious and debilitating injuries in New Mexico.
Accidents and Dangers Caused by Improperly Loaded Cargo
There are many types of accidents that can be caused by improperly loaded cargo. Types of accidents include the following:
- Rollover accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Tire blowouts or other tire issues
- Falling cargo, leading to serious injury or death
- Sideswipe accidents
- Potential serious dangers in regard to the cargo that is being transported (i.e. oil, cement, etc.)
- Brake failure or other braking system issues
How Can Commercial Trucking Accidents Due to Improperly Secured Cargo be Prevented?
Commercial truck drivers, along with commercial trucking companies are required to adhere to FMCSA guidelines regarding securing of cargo. Failure to adhere to these standards creates great risk for these types of accidents. A few examples of FMCSA guidelines regarding securing of cargo include the following:
- Cargo must be properly distributed to prevent unevenly distributed weight
- Cargo must be tied down properly
- Cargo must be tied down properly with FMCSA approved anchor points and materials
- Cargo must weight 80,000 pounds or less, depending on the size of the truck
- Cargo must be secured and inspected prior to the start of the journey, one or more times during the first 50 miles of the journey, and every 150 miles or 3 hours. Additionally, if there is any suspicion that the cargo is not well secured, the driver should pull over to readjust the cargo.
If You Were Hurt in an 18 Wheeler Accident Due to Unsecured Cargo in New Mexico, We Can Help
The bottom line is that trucking accidents due to improperly loaded cargo are 100% preventable. Therefore, you or your loved one should never have been injured due to this type of accident. Unfortunately, injuries due to these types of accidents are often severe and lead to costly medical bills. You should never have to pay a dime for injuries sustained due to an accident that was entirely preventable. Our experienced trucking accident lawyers are ready to help you gain the maximum amount of compensation possible for your injuries so you don’t have to worry about the financial implications of your injury.
Call the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. by dialing (505) 384-7865 to schedule your FREE consultation if you have been injured in an 18 wheeler accident due to unsecured cargo. We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 384-7865 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.